Monday, March 30, 2009

Wolf Creek 2006 and Alien 1979

Wolf Creek 2006  

The other night I figured that I could sneak another film in as I passed out and I think I picked the right one.  For a good chunk of the first part of this ‘horror’ film you either watch everyone yawning, going to bed, or getting up so early you want to let them go back to bed for a minute.  I spent so much time wanting the characters to get more sleep that I forgot to watch the film or pay attention to the story when suddenly I realized that the story hadn’t started yet, it was like when you talk about the weather for so long with an associate that your not really friends with and you run out of things to say.  You find yourself staring at a film - where one of its characters calls earth the pooh planet, because there is pooh everywhere.  When suddenly I realized the movie was gorgeous to watch.  I could almost pretend like it was a foreign film, and simply different because of it.  At times I felt like it was hard to hear the dialogue on purpose, because the context didn’t really matter.

     Until suddenly it started raining, got uncomfortably cold, night quickly approached, and the car didn’t start.  But still they kept on taking naps, which I figured was a good thing cause they needed to be ready for bad things, right?  And what’s worse than a horror version of Crocodile Dundee 2.  Except that the final girl theory doesn’t apply, must be because it’s ‘based’ on a true story.  Many props to whomever came up with the eloquent tale of two girls who almost got away… from a writers mind with no physical evidence, thought it’s ‘based’ on a true story.  You can never trust a tale based on a true story even if it’s a documentary.  Based…

Alien 1979

     Which leads me straight to true documentary filmmaking.  For I watched a true vampire horror film classic.  I should say that I’m lying on the documentary comment, but that’s based on the fact that classic sci-fi is always based on the films reality, the world as it is on the reel. 

I say true classic because this film exhibits so many primal scene fantasies that one may lose track of Freud if they don’t pay attention.  It also is a 100% monster classic without the influence of postmodern horror outside if it sci-fi dating.  We are watching a vampire tale without the romantic appeal, at least until Alien:Resuerection. 

Alien, as the film opens, introduces us to a cohesive family unit.  We have mother, the caretaker, as well as Ash the android medical humanoid, the father.  Of course the rest of the ‘sibling’ crew is unaware of Ash’s status as a robot.

     Perhaps alluding to a biblical tale, we find Cain to be overly curious, always pressing the boundaries of comfort and curiosity.  Cain, of course, finds and introduces the rest of his family to chaos and an inability to harmonize with common reality.  Since I hope we have all seen this movie I will stop myself from applying my verbosity.

No comments:

Post a Comment